|June 6th, 2018|
|jammer, music [html]|
I took out the four corner screws, letting me get the lid off:
Then I took out the screws holding the circuit board in:
The keys are held in with little plugs, which come out if you pull firmly:
Unfortunately I pulled a little too firmly on one of them, and broke the plug:
I needed to get it out with a needle-nose pliers. After that I was more careful, and if a peg seemed stuck I twisted it slightly. I initially thought this meant I had lost a note, and was trying to decide if I cared less about the highest or lowest note, but then I realized I don't need the transposition keys so took the plug from one of them to use as a spare.
After taking all the pegs out I could start to put things back together, following the parrern suggested here.
And here it is finished:
You can see the missing transposition key up top. The bottom is also not quite colored correctly; the Axis-49 comes with three fewer black keys than you need to make this layout, but I tried to have the wrong colors out of the way.
I think it's much clearer this way, and much easier to pick what key to play in.
(This is actually a second Axis-49. The first one was too old to go into 'selfless' mode, where each key sends a different number. Updating my MIDI program was tidy (commit) because this one identifies as AXIS-49 2A instead of AXIS-49 USB Keyboard, and now I can play seven octaves instead of three and a half. Not sure what I'll do with the other one yet.)