|September 26th, 2019|
|music, solstice [html]|
This version keeps the melody for sections where it's reasonably predictable, simplifies the melody in a few places, and substitutes a new melody only where I think one is needed. Specifically:
- The first melody ("Our new world ... will not be mine") is unchanged from the original.
- The second melody ("A hundred years ... each new home") no longer moves the tune from D to Bbm but goes to the more natural Bm instead. The melody here is new but tries to have a similar feel as the original.
- The third melody ("But I'll teach .. rockets belong") is unchanged from the original for the first part, but swaps a repeat of the second line's melody for the range-busting rise on "where our rockets belong".
- The fourth melody ("It will never ... so far away") is new, and another attempt to make something fitting in Bm to replace something tricky in Bbm.
- The fifth melody ("But I am .. somebody will someday") is unchanged from the original (I had thought it was too hard and recorded a draft version with it swapped to the version from yesterday, but really the only hard part is the first two notes (4, 3 over D) and I think we can deal with that)
(in D) A D Our new world is so close. A D A D Mars has treasures we're only just starting to find. A D A D Frozen mountains and crimson dust waiting for footprints Bm A That will not be mine. Bm A Bm A A hundred years to run the first tests G G A another to raise the first dome. Bm A Bm A The moon, then Mars, then Titan next, G G A A life time to touch each new home. A D And I want it so much. A D A D Close my eyes, I can taste the Mars dust in the air. A D A D In the darkness the space stations shimmer in orbits that Bm A I will not share. D D D D But I'll teach the student who'll manage the fact'ry D D G A That tempers the steel that makes colonies strong. D D D D And I'll write the program that runs the computer D D G A That charts out the stars where our rockets belong. Bm A G A It will never get easy to wake from my dream Bm A G A When the future I dream of is so far away. D D D D But I am willing to sacrifice D D D D Something I don't have for something I won't have Bm A D But somebody will someday. A D And it feels like a waste. A D A D All this working and waiting and battling time, A D A D And all for a kingdom that all of my efforts Bm A Will never make mine, Bm A Bm A But brick by brick the Pyramids rose, G G A With most hidden under the sand, Bm A Bm A So life by life the project grows G G A In ways I might not understand. A D I am voyaging too, A D A D We will need the foundation as much as the dome Bm A For those worlds to come true, D D D D And I'll clerk the office that handles the funding D D G A That raises the tower that watches the sky. D D D D And I'll staff the bookstore that carries the journal D D G A That sparks the idea that makes solar sails fly. Bm A G A It takes so many sailors to conquer an ocean Bm A G A And so many more when it's light-years away, D D D D But I am willing to sacrifice D D D D Something I don't have for something I won't have Bm A D But somebody will someday. A D It's so easy to run. A D A D Hide away in my books, games and fantasy plans, A D A D Let them call me a coward who can't face reality's Bm A Grownup demands, Bm A Bm A But if I love my fantasy worlds G G A It's not fantasy love that I feel. Bm A Bm A And so much more I feel for this G G The world that created them, G G World we create with them, G G A One chance to make them all real. A D And I know we won't stop. A D A D We've planned too many wonders for one little star. A D A D Though often the present may seem too complacent Bm A To take us that far. D D D D But I'll tell the story and I'll draw the picture D D G A And I'll sing the anthem that banishes doubt, D D D D And host the convention that summons the family D D G A That carries the fire that never burns out Bm A G A There are so many chances to give up the journey, Bm A G A Especially when it's so easy to stay, D D D D But I am willing to sacrifice D D D D Something I don't have for something I won't have Bm A And not only me, D D D D But we are willing to sacrifice D D D D Something we don't have for something we won't have Bm A D So somebody will, someday.