• Posts
  • RSS
  • ◂◂RSS
  • Contact

  • Details Behind the InIn Document

    October 24th, 2016
    giving  [html]
    This morning I posted Concerns with Intentional Insights to the EA Forum. It represents the work of a lot of people, and I wanted to give some details on how it was created.

    Two months ago I wrote a post, Conversation with Gleb of Intentional Insights, which started a large (500+ comment) conversation. While my post focused on a single interaction with him, in the discussion people brought up many other potential instances of dubious behavior. Effectively, we were crowdsourcing what became today's forum post. Gleb participated in the discussion, demonstrating why some concerns were erroneous but also further demonstrating the qualities I'm worried about.

    Recognizing that a comment thread, especially one with a big mix of topics, is not a good venue for communicating concerns to busy people, I started to collect the evidence from the thread into a document. Other people helped, some anonymous, some listed at the end of the Concerns doc, and by the end of August it was nearly complete.

    Getting it the last of the way from "nearly complete" to "complete", however, took a really long time, as it turns out EAs can be perfectionists. Plus everyone working on this doc was doing it in their spare time. At this point I'd kind of lost interest, so Carl and Gregory were doing most of the work.

    I had initially hoped to create both a listing of concerns and an "open letter" that summarized the problem and recommended a course of action to the community, but we weren't able to agree on what that should be. Instead we decided we would just post the evidence doc to the EA forum, and let the community go from there.

    On September 16, Carl sent the draft of the evidence doc to Gleb for comments. Gleb had several, and we updated the doc based on his concerns where we thought that was warranted. On October 15, I converted the doc to HTML to paste into the EA forum. This included collecting the images and mass-resizing them (but they're all links to their original full size) and converting the formatting to html, which was mostly a manual process. It is possible to get HTML out of docs, but it produces really messy code that and I didn't think would play well with the EA forum.

    After this Carl had a bit more to add, which I ported over to the HTML doc, and then we sent the draft to Gleb for a final round of comments. Gleb was traveling and unable to comment until the 22nd, at which point Carl updated the doc in response.

    Here's what the ~2000 edits on the doc look like, with days-since-start on the x-axis:

    Comment via: google plus, facebook

    Recent posts on blogs I like:

    Learning Worst Industry Practices

    If I have a bad idea and you have a bad idea and we exchange them, we now have two bad ideas. But more than that. If I have a bad idea and you have a good idea and we exchange them, we should both land on your good idea – but that requires both […]

    via Pedestrian Observations September 20, 2020

    Collections: Iron, How Did They Make It? Part I, Mining

    This week we are starting a four-part look at pre-modern iron and steel production. As with our series on farming, we are going to follow the train of iron production from the mine to a finished object, be that a tool, a piece of armor, a simple nail, a w…

    via A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry September 18, 2020

    Learning Game

    I came up with this game. In the game one person thinks of something and then gives the other person a clue. And the other person writes a guess down on a blackboard or a piece of paper. Or really anything you have that's laying around that's av…

    via Lily Wise's Blog Posts September 17, 2020

    more     (via openring)


  • Posts
  • RSS
  • ◂◂RSS
  • Contact