|October 15th, 2022|
And another on the inside of each:
I stuck with the plywood base as originally planned instead of switching to bed slats: it's only slightly more expensive and makes it far sturdier. Both beds feel as solid as part of the house.
The ladders are well-sanded 2x3s with 1 1/8" dowel rungs. I clamped them together and drilled the holes with a spade bit. This would have worked better with either a drill press or more care: a few of the angles weren't quite right and Lily's came out warped after assembly. I needed to cut an inch off the top of one side to get it to fit properly:
In retrospect it would have been less visible to trim the bottom than the top, though it was easier to get it right doing it this way.
I used bunk bed ladder hooks to attach the ladders to the beds, and they're not fixed to the floor. The post on Anna's bed isn't fixed either. I'd rather not put holes in the floor!
The railings are a 2x3 frame with 1x2 furring strips for spindles. They're glued and screwed at the top, and screwed at the bottom. They're not as sturdy as the rest of the beds, but they're still good.
The kids are both very happy with their new beds. Anna was excited enough that even though her new twin mattress isn't here yet she wanted me to move her crib-sized mattress up so she could start using the loft right away:
Lily's loft is a bit longer than a twin bed, so I boxed in the area at the end to make a shelf:
I ran a power strip up to it so she can plug in her clock and tablet:
Anna's shelf is still in progress; hers will be wall-mounted near the foot.