I made a board for doing foot percussion last weekend and tried it
at the brandeis contra yesterday. It's a little "clacky", and I
think if I were better at this I could make one with different
sounds for the different parts of the board so I could do more of a
"thump-clack-a" instead of "clack-clack-a", but I'm pretty happy
I made it by hollowing out a board with a router, embedding a
contact pickup, and gluing it back together. The paper shown in the
first image I thought I was going to need to use to keep the pickup
well embedded, but I ended up not needing it.
I probably didn't need that many clamps, but there are a lot of
clamps in my parents' basement and I was curious how many I could
fit on it. I also need to test it with different shoes and see how
much of the sound is shoe dependent.