• Posts
  • RSS
  • ◂◂RSS
  • Contact

  • Income Inequality and Scale Independence

    December 10th, 2009
    money, politics  [html]
    Looking around at different ways of measuring income inequality (which I'm not convinced is a problem in and of itself: "people start startups in the hope of becoming much richer than they were before. And if your society tries to prevent anyone from being much richer than anyone else, it will also prevent one person from being much richer at t2 than t1") and I see that "scale independence" is valued in an income inequality metric. I'm not sure it should be. If you have a society and make everyone 2x richer, then a scale independent metric would say inequality hasn't changed. But what if you make everyone 1000x richer? Because the value of money is not linear in the amount you have (I would rather have a 50% chance of gaining $1M than a 25% chance of gaining $2M. Heck, I'd even prefer it to a 25% chance of gaining $3M.), as you scale incomes up inequality decreases. What I want is an income inequality metric that is explicitly scale dependent, considering along with each income the decreasing value of large amounts of money.

    Comment via: facebook

    Recent posts on blogs I like:

    Governance in Rich Liberal American Cities

    Matt Yglesias has a blog post called Make Blue America Great Again, about governance in rich liberal states like New York and California. He talks about various good government issues, and he pays a lot of attention specifically to TransitMatters and our …

    via Pedestrian Observations November 19, 2020

    Collections: Why Military History?

    This week, I want to talk about the discipline of military history: what it is, why it is important and how I see my own place within it. This is going to be a bit of an unusual collections post as it is less about the past itself and more about how we st…

    via A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry November 13, 2020

    Misalignment and misuse: whose values are manifest?

    Crossposted from world spirit sock puppet. AI related disasters are often categorized as involving misaligned AI, or misuse, or accident. Where: misuse means the bad outcomes were wanted by the people involved, misalignment means the bad outcomes were wan…

    via Meteuphoric November 13, 2020

    more     (via openring)


  • Posts
  • RSS
  • ◂◂RSS
  • Contact