|July 30th, 2010|
|tech, statmbx, email [html]|
- Email accounts at alum.swarthmore.edu, sccs.swarthmore.edu, cs.swarthmore.edu, bidadance.org, and others all forward to a unix server at swarpa.net run by some college friends.
- This computer runs procmail to sort email, separating out spam with spamassasin, high traffic mailing lists into their own folders, stuff I want to archive without reading, etc from my main inbox. This also generates a procmail log that lists all incoming email
- To do email notifications I keep a terminal window open running wmail which is an alias for tail -f ~/procmail/pmlog | python ~/clean_pmlog.py. The python program here is described in the post text only email stuff.
- To check what messages I have waiting for me without opening my inbox I run cmail, which is an alias for the c program statmbx.
- To actually send, read, and reply to email I run mutt. This is highly configurable, but it is the least flexible part of my setup if I want it to do something no one else has thought to make it do. Possible, as I can change the source, but difficult.
- Mutt invokes my preferred editor, emacs to actually compose email.
Comment via: facebook