|December 28th, 2017|
I looked over all the dances I have listed on trycontra.com to see what the range of prices dances are charging is.  I got prices for 287 dances:
- Average was $9.06.
221 dances (77%) offered some sort of discount.
The most common discounts were to students (172, 60%) and members of the organization (91, 32%).
53 dances (18%) offered a "youth" discount, but they varied wildly in their definition of "youth", from "13 and under" to "35 and under".
23 dances (8%) used a sliding scale. Here's the range:
Here is the raw data: google sheets.
(I was initially interested in this because I'm trying to figure out what I think BIDA should do for pricing. National numbers aren't actually that helpful for this, but I decided to figure them out anyway.)
 Methodology Notes:
- I ignored free dances and ones where I couldn't find a price on their website.
- I put sliding scale dances at their midpoint, rounded down to the nearest dollar.
- A Right to Publicy
- Debt Relief Is Bad Means Testing
- Transit Service Quality Map
- The Economics of a Studio CD
- Putting Words Off-Limits