|March 8th, 2013|
When waiting to board a plane I would much rather wait in the terminal than on the jetway. It's nice to have a seat, laptop, internet, power, and a pleasant temperature. As ticket scanning has gotten faster, however, this has meant more time on the jetway and less in the terminal. Here's a simple model of plane boarding:
- Waiting in the terminal (pleasant: 8)
- Waiting in line to have your ticket scanned (unpleasant: 5)
- Waiting in the jetway to board the plane (very unpleasant: 2)
- Waiting in the plane's aisle to get to your seat (unpleasant: 4)
- Waiting in your seat for the plane to leave (pleasant: 7)
If people were let onto the jetway only when the queue on the plane got too short, then you'd minimize waiting in unpleasant stages.