• Posts
  • RSS
  • ◂◂RSS
  • Contact

  • Contra Caller Gender II

    October 28th, 2017
    contra, gender  [html]
    Dance weekends with two callers try to book ones of different genders. When the majority of callers were male this meant avoiding booking two men, but now that the majority is female it means avoiding booking two women.

    How can we know this? When I first looked into the gender breakdown of contra callers, in 2015, I used a small list of dance weekends where I had many years of data. I saw that a bit more than half of individual callers at those weekends over that ~20y period were male, and a bit under half the slots were called by women:

    n-female %-female
    Callers 40 41%
    Slots 125 47%

    We can see that they were gender balancing because male-female pairs happened much more often than you would expect by chance:

      ww: 10
      wm: 37
      mm: 10
    

    Using the data I published yesterday, we can see how things are now:

    n-female %-female
    Callers 2016 49 54%
    2017 54 53%
    Slots 2016 166 66%
    2017 160 60%

    The number of female callers has risen a lot, from 41% to 54%, and the overall number of slots called by women rose from 47% to 63%.

    Looking at weekends with exactly two callers I see:

    2016:
      ww: 16
      wm: 49
      mm: 8
    
    2017:
      ww: 15
      wm: 42
      mm: 8
    

    Since the overall number of slots called by women is 63% (326 out of 516, over two years) the most likely outcome for two-caller weekends would be: [1]

      ww: 40%
      wm: 47%
      mm: 13%
    
    but instead we're seeing:
      ww: 22%
      wm: 66%
      mm: 12%
    

    Organizers are still favoring male-female pairs, but because there are now more female callers than there used to be this now means booking extra men instead of extra women.

    (Bands still skew very heavily male, but I haven't counted since 2014 because that's a lot more work.)


    [1] These come from looking at how likely you are to get combinations events with 63% probability (booking a woman) or 37% probability (booking a man). Specifically:

      ww: 63% * 63% = 40%
      wm: 37% * 63% + 37% * 63% = 47%
      mm: 37% * 37% = 13%
    

    Comment via: google plus, facebook

    Recent posts on blogs I like:

    The Gift of It's Your Problem Now

    Recently a security hole in a certain open source Java library resulted in a worldwide emergency kerfuffle as, say, 40% of the possibly hundreds of millions of worldwide deployments of this library needed to be updated in a hurry. (The other 60% also …

    via apenwarr January 1, 2022

    The container throttling problem

    This is an excerpt from an internal document David Mackey and I co-authored in April 2019. The document is excerpted since much of the original doc was about comparing possible approaches to increasing efficency at Twitter, which is mostly information tha…

    via Posts on December 18, 2021

    Experiences in raising children in shared housing

    Sometimes I see posts about people’s hope to raise children in a group housing situation, and it often seems overly optimistic to me. In particular they seem to expect that there will be more shared childcare than I think should be expected. Today I talke…

    via The whole sky October 18, 2021

    more     (via openring)


  • Posts
  • RSS
  • ◂◂RSS
  • Contact